In order to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid... -Epictetus

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Spanish Weekend with My Dad/Fin de Semana de Espanol con Mi Padre

We are still and studying away! We just completed week 7 (I think) of our Summer Spanish Project Contest and I think we doing well! Check out the "Keeping Score" page. As you can see, I'm still winning! (This is very exciting... mostly because the cost of Amazon's Kindle 2 came down in price just last week!)

This weekend (Friday-Sunday) The Husband, kids, and I went to spend time with my dad, a native spanish speaker. We told him ahead of time that we wanted to practice our spanish and he was READY! Boy, by Saturday night my brain was exhausted. The husband said he was all "spanished-out" and I agreed (but only in my head... didn't want to admit it to my dad!). I do believe trying to speak in a foreign language throughout the day feels like thinking calculus all day! I don't think I'll ever hear then end of the funny face I (apparently) make when I'm about to say something in Spanish. It's my thinking face, I guess! I think it looks like a combination of me spacing off and me being confused. Right now I have to think so hard before I say anything; there's just no way around it. Maybe with time it will fade away. :)

The conversations over the weekend were slow and effortful but felt good... the way feeling sore after a workout feels good. We did get quite a bit of spanish practice in, though we both feel that we should have done even more. Hopefully we'll get to go back in about a month to try it again. It will be neat (yeah, I said, "neat") to see how much progress we make between now and then. I visited my dad about a month ago and I know that I've made much progress towards being conversational since then. Don't get me wrong... neither The Husband nor I can actually have a conversation in Spanish, yet. Seeing our progress though, was motivating and I know we'll reach that goal eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment