In order to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid... -Epictetus

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Direct Object Pronouns and Indirect Pronouns, You Are My Nemesis./Pronombres de Objeto Directo y los Pronombres Indirectos, Tú Eres Mi Enemigo.

We are still studying away, some days more than others. I know I need to add many, many words to my vocabulary. Right now however, the BIG thorn in my side is using direct and indirect object pronouns. Between Rosetta Stone, Learn in Your Car, and SpanishDict.com, I've reviewed and reviewed the rules for how to use them but it is still not coming very naturally to me. This not only hinders my ability to speak the language, it also hinders my ability to understand what in the world is being spoken about! Honestly, in the time it takes me to figure out what a speaker is saying, they've moved on and I've missed something!

Part of the struggle is that in the midst of trying to speak/understand, they all sound the same: me, te, lo, la, nos, las, los and me, te, le, nos, les, se. Using them in the same sentence makes it more tricky!
Here's a sentence that could use a Direct Object Pronoun: She eats a cookie./Ella come la galleta. Here, the direct object is "cookie/galleta". I could say "She eats it". Ella la come. Literally translated, this would be "She it eats".

Here's a sentence that could use both a Direct Object Pronoun and an Indirect Object Pronoun: Instead of saying, "I gave the cookies to Elisa", I could say, "I gave them to her". I believe the correct translation is: "Yo se las dio a ella". Literally translated, this would be something wacky like: "I to her them I gave to her". In other words, you can't translate English to Spanish or Spanish to English literally... which also means you have to know what you are talking about to talk about stuff!! :) Trying to figure out what word replaces what word and what order it's all supposed to go in is perplexing!

What's funny is that what I am explaining now I could totally have all wrong. I'm so confused! Anyone out there that can help? I'm all ears!

1 comment:

  1. You've got it. On the one sentece with the se. That's because you would have le las and that is very confusing. So they change the le to se. So a sentence like that would say, Yo se las dio. (I to her them gave.) ;) You got it girl. This is one of the hardest parts of Spanish. It doesn't come naturally for us gringos. So we practice and practice. :) Hang in there! (A+ from me!) Mary

    ReplyDelete