In order to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid... -Epictetus

Monday, March 7, 2011

¿Por cuánto tiempo?/How long?

Yesterday we were sitting around talking about The Husband's trip to Mexico. He went upstairs to change out of his church clothes and came downstairs all fired up. He said something like, "No Inglés. Sólo en español por tres días." Which, in our house, would typically sound like, "No English. Only Spanish for three days." My response, "What?", accompanied by a confused look. Soon we decided that we needed a crash course so... 'sólo en Español' started at 3:00 yesterday afternoon.

It ended at 4:15 yesterday afternoon. ;)

It was actually really fun but mentally exhausting. We were making dinner together and actually had a lot of conversation. The rule was that we couldn't use our phones (Google translate and Spanish/English dictionaries)to look up phrases or words (to help us get our point across) 'first'. We had to try everything we could, different Spanish words, pointing, miming, etc. THEN we could use our other resources to either confirm that we said the right thing or look up what we were attempting to say. I was pleased but we quit after an hour and fifteen minutes. The idea was to pick it back up later in the day but we didn't.

It was hard. Exhausting. Humbling. Fun? Yes. But kind of hard restraining myself. If I can't talk in English, I'm forced to not say much. What can I say? Later, we wanted to try it again but it wasn't as appealing... probably because there is nothing relaxing about it. I know that sounds bad. I guess I'm not sure if we should go "all out" and just make ourselves do it or if we should ease-in in little spurts. I'm probably just being a weeny and a bit lazy about it.

Maybe we'll try it again tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment