In order to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid... -Epictetus

Sunday, January 16, 2011

¡Estamos de vuelta!/We're back!

Okay, I think we're back on the Spanish learning train! I tried to keep up after our contest ended last summer. However, I didn't have anyone to talk to. The Husband went back to work teaching and taking grad school classes and I lost the motivation. It fizzled and I forgot a lot of what I had learned. BUT... In a couple of months The Husband is heading to Mexico to work in a health clinic (for a week). Suddenly he is back to being motivated and that got me excited so here we are.

No contest this time. I really hope we don't need one to keep us going. We've already begun reincorporating the language into our daily conversation. Of course, my vocabulary is limited and my grammar atrocious. Most of what I can say in conversation is more Spanglish than Spanish. Yesterday my sentences were sounding like this: I wanted to say, "Let's go feed the kids." What I said was, "Vamos a feed los niños." How often would you say "feed" in spanish anyway? :)

It's fun getting going again, though. Chad's been sitting next to me reviewing Rosetta Stone lessons that he passed last year. (Ugh, Rosetta Stone. It worked but we spend so many hours on it last year that I'm dreading going back to it.)I've been cracking up hearing him say "Tenis" (tennis in español... you know, it sounds like ten-ees). It's reminding me of all the times last year that Rosetta had me repeat the word autobús y restaurante (bus and restaurant in español). I don't know why, but with every other word, sentence, or phrase, my accent was fine. But with THOSE words...

Anyway, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment